MI AJI DE GALLINA
This is not the traditional recipe, but rather a quick version that I like to do in about 30 minutes.
This dish is especially good made with fresh, roasted Aji Amarillos.
Serve over rice or boiled and sliced potatoes; side with Salsa Criolla.
Option: try it with a side of crispy potato wedges or french fries.
2 Servings Heat Level: Moderately Hot
1 cup cooked chicken, shredded (rotisserie roasted preferred)
3 fresh Aji Amarillos, roasted, peeled, seeded and chopped
(sub with frozen or jarred Ajis from Latin markets)
1/2 cup onion chopped
3 garlic cloves minced
1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp. coconut oil
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. white pepper
1 tsp. fresh lime juice
1/2 tsp. sherry vinegar
1 cup milk (I used soy milk)
3/4 cup cotija cheese, grated
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
boiled egg, chopped coarse
Peruvian black botija olives, pitted and halved – 2–3 per serving
1. Heat both oils to medium in a heavy 1–2 qt. sauce pan. Saute garlic and onion until translucent.
2. Add Ajis, salt, pepper and sauté for 5 minutes.
3. Add lime juice, vinegar, milk and stir in the cheese
4. Using a immersion hand blender, pulse a few times to partially blend sauce to a coarse texture. It is best to leave nice bits of Aji for tasty burst of flavor when served.
5. Stir in chicken and cilantro; turn heat to low; cover and simmer for about 10 minutes.
Serve over rice or with potatoes and garnish with egg and olives along with a side of Salsa Criolla.
Salsa Criolla (Peruvian Red Onion Salsa)
Soak sliced red onion in cold water for 5 minutes and drain. Serve this salsa with grilled or roasted meats, tacos, Papusas and Empanadas.
Salsa criolla can be made 1 day ahead and stored in the refrigerator.
Yield: 1 1/2 cups
1 medium red onion, quartered and thinly sliced
1 small red rocoto or jalapeño, seeded and minced (about 1 Tbsp.)
2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
1 Tbsp. white vinegar
1 Tbsp. finely chopped cilantro leaves
1/4 tsp. white pepper
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1. Soak the red onion in a bowl of cold water for 10 minutes. Drain well and pat dry with paper towels.
2. Combine all ingredients and chill for serving.
2016 by Larry Noggle www.peppahead.com